October 25, 2012

Bistrot Margot

We got together with my husband's family for dinner on Sunday night in Old Town (Chicago). We switched it up a bit from our typical Italian spot and tried out a French restaurant, Bistrot Margot on Wells Street. It was a great decision - what a beautiful dinner! I think I probably ate about a pound of butter throughout the meal, but it was totally worth it.

It's a cute little spot, perfect for a family dinner or date. I don't know if I'd make it a girls night out or swing in with a bachelor party, but it's great for a more formal or intimate occasion.

I started the night with french onion soup, which was very good (not the best I've had, but definitely an 8 out of 10). There's nothing like melted gruyere cheese over an onion broth with a big hunk of bread - yum. My brother-in-law ordered mussels and was kind enough to share a few with me. Covered in a white wine shallot sauce, they were quite possibly some of the best mussels I've ever had. Would definitely recommend these to start.

french onion soup - cheesy

For my main, I ordered Blanc de Poulet Au Moutarde. While I had no idea what that meant and could definitely not even pronounce it, the description caught my eye: Pan Roasted Dijon Basted Chicken Breast, Green Peas, Carrots, New Potatoes, Dijon Beurre Blanc. This is the type of dish that makes you want to return to a restaurant. They served a breast and leg quarter of chicken, bone in, skin on. The vegetables and potatoes were cooked perfectly and the sauce really made it something special.

It was so good, I almost forgot to take a pic!
My husband ordered the restaurant's staple, Steak Frites. While he wasn't crazy about the parsley butter (I thought it was great), the meat was cooked perfectly and the fries were thin and crispy.

steak frites - how can you go wrong with steak & fries?

Dessert was really out of this world. The table ordered profiteroles, but I went with my all-time fav, creme brûlée. The profiteroles were wonderful, but the creme brûlée was a creamy and smooth bowl of heavenly bliss. The custard had the perfect amount of sweetness and hint of vanilla.


creme brûlée - so good, definitely shareable
profiteroles - that's just one order!


No comments:

Post a Comment