February 6, 2013

Homemade egg mcmuffins

What's better than McDonald's breakfast? Truthfully, probably nothing. But this comes close! These impostor egg mcmuffins are a great way to start a lazy Sunday.



Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches):
2 T butter
2 english muffins
2 eggs
2 slices American cheese
2 slices ham
salt & pepper

Directions:
heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
add 1 T butter until melted and tilt pan to spread. 
place the english muffin in the toaster.
crack an egg over the pan.
let the egg cook until the edges curl and the whites start to set.
butter english muffin and add cheese (microwave for 10 seconds if cheese doesn't melt).
flip the egg and cook for about a minute.
place the egg on the english muffin.
add ham slices to skillet and fry for about a minute (be careful not to burn, just want it to brown a bit on each side).
add ham to sandwich.
sprinkle with salt & pepper.













tips & extras

Frying eggs - I'm still not that great at frying eggs. My dad is amazing at it, but I think it gets a little better each time I try! If you're really afraid to fry an egg, just scramble some. The sandwich will be just as delicious. 

Cracking eggs - If you aren't the best egg cracker, crack the egg in a bowl or ramekin and then slowly add it to the skillet. 

Over-easy - For this recipe, I prefer to make my eggs over-easy because the sandwich is a bit difficult to eat if they are too runny. 

Open-faced - I like my sandwich open-faced, similar to eggs benedict. My husband likes sandwiches. For open-faced, use 2 eggs and 1 english muffins. For a sandwich, use an entire english muffin and 1 or 2 eggs. 

Ham - Use whatever ham you like or have on hand. Canadian bacon is even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment